Tuesday, October 28, 2008

October 21st 2008
We Choose to Only Use
Today in class we were asked if we use the internet as a source of getting information. Everyone raised their hand. Then when we were asked if we have ever made a web page, very few could say they have. It made me think.....why is it that we choose to use the internet multiple times a day for numerous reasons, yet never take the time to contribute to it? Today the world wide web is one of the most powerful sources in the media. Anyone can put almost any type of information out there for people to receive. Why is it that we will take what people give us, but not so often give it back. Then again, there are many aspects of life that are similar to this idea. I believe the idea is known as "paying it forward." When someone does a kind or considerate thing for you, it is only right to commit a self-less act for someone else. Now, don't get me wrong I don't think creating media outlets and posting things on the internet can really be considered self-less,everyone has their own agenda,but the concept is similar. Someone is putting information out there that you use on a daily basis and you don't have to do a thing in return. I know personally, I don't have the time/patience/knowledge/ability to create a portal of information for someone else to use. But in most cases, could it be the fact that it is so easy to choose to only use?
So...
I'm gonna throw a huge ball of honesty out there and say that this blog is actually a bit embarrassing because writing is definitely not one of my strong points, so I'm sorry guys,hope this wasn't too unbearable to read and I hope you understand the point that I was trying to get across. Thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I use the internet for so much, whether it's finding an article for school, going on Facebook/Myspace, or even just reading about the latest gossip from Perez Hilton. It is unbelievable to me that there are so many websites out there since the internet is fairly young. Imagine how many more will be created in the years to come.

All of this makes me think of my parents and how they don't even use the computer at all. I found it so hard to not have the computer for a month during a recent summer, but now that I think about it, my parent's never had use for a computer to begin with. They’re fine without email and all of the other little things offered on the web. To me, this is just an example of how so many people are becoming dependent on technology and how it is unusual these days for someone to not use the internet or a computer on a daily basis.